In-house Legal Counsel – Calgary, AB
by Executive Solutions | 01.03.21 | 10:22
Our client is one of Calgary’s most established and prominent mixed-use developers with cutting edge designs that start with one thing in common; premium locations, that are then developed into high-end apartments, condos, townhomes, and commercial spaces to deliver superior product. They are driven by an unwavering commitment to creating exceptionally high quality products.
Built for growth our client is incorporating a REIT into their portfolio, this REIT will own and operate premium multi-family rental assets in Western Canada. The REIT has a strategic partnership with the development corp. to provide financial support and purchase completed developments. The REIT is led by an experienced professional management team with a track record of performance and value creation.
As they continue to grow, so does their need for exceptional staff to assist in the facilitation of bringing their visions to life. This is a very exciting time as our client is now looking to hire an in-house lawyer to their team of esteemed professionals. As Senior Legal Counsel, you will be reporting to the President & CEO and working closely with our Chief Financial Officer. You are a subject matter expert in Construction Law/Complex Commercial Litigation, providing support and guidance on a variety of legal issues; contracts & contract negotiations and construction related agreements.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide professional legal expertise and support on all company legal matters, including but not limited to commercial litigation, construction litigation, including construction disputes, builder liens, contract disputes, shareholder litigation, debt recovery and real estate litigation
- Proactively identify and educate senior leadership team on legal issues and risk to the company.
- Support and lead the contract review/negotiation process, including (i) doing a final review of the first draft of revisions , (ii) leading on subsequent negotiations and revisions, and (iii) working with commercial/operational teams to ensure that contract risks are appropriately identified, mitigated and priced
- Provide interpretation and legal advice on contractual agreements such as client, supplier and sub-consultants and where required draft, review and negotiate contracts on behalf of the company
- Provide advice and direction regarding commercial/business claims including claims related to construction
- Assist in pre-litigation preparation including drafting statement of claims, defense, and counter claims
- Manage corporate legal matters and agreements including corporate leases, client compliance requests and employee security clearances, across multiple jurisdictions.
- Support the Chief Financial Officer in negotiating and administering national insurance policies including professional errors, omission insurance and claims administration. Single point of contact for tracking and administering project claims
- Provide support for other functions throughout the business such as information technology, human resources, accounting, marketing and purchasing
- Liaise with and manage external legal counsel when required. Manage all legal spending to ensure cost control
- Maintain and manage corporate partnership agreements including the addition of new partners
- Collaborate with senior leadership team on internal and external legal and business developments and identify, monitor and escalate issues as required
- Keep up to date on relevant industry, commercial law, contract law, construction law and other laws and regulations to provide effective guidance
Qualifications and Skills
- Must be a Canadian Qualified Lawyer and a practicing member in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta
- 7-10 years of Canadian practice experience in commercial and construction litigation. Including experience with builder liens’ and construction disputes, contract disputes, shareholder litigation, debt recovery and real estate litigation. Preference will be given to applicants who have a blend of private practice experience from a reputable firm in combination with in-house experience
- Extensive experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex commercial and construction contracts within a variety of areas
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound legal judgement, problem-solving skills in a variety of business and commercial situations
- Ability to be a persuasive advocate and negotiate effectively
- Keen analytic and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to understand the broader economic, strategic and operational issues facing the business
- Flexibility to manage a broad range of daily interaction and activities and to deal with unexpected projects that require quick turnaround and prioritization
- Good judgment in working with customers (internal and external), occasionally under ambiguous or challenging circumstances
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to navigate through complex contractual agreements with minimal supervision and work independently to identify and address risk
- Ability to interpret and explain complex legal matters in a way that allows a non-lawyer to understand the issue and associated risk
- Entrepreneurial mindset would be an asset. This is a greenfield opportunity and will require the successful candidate to set up/develop the legal department and put the required systems in place
Our client is offering a competitive base salary, full benefits, educational incentives, short term and long term bonus incentives and parking.